Monday, February 27, 2006

Late bloomer I am

I didn't know about menstruation till I was 12. Puberty didn't hit me a year later. All through high school I was struggling with my sense of style. It was always sporty/casual, but the girly part in me wanted to come out so bad. During family gatherings, especially weddings and raya, I would admire my cousins who are all dolled up, from the finest of songkets to the flawless cosmetic touch. The only perk being me back then was when we played outside they could only sit by the stairs and watch. And the boys loved me because I played good football than some of them.

I remember my aunt pulling me aside, gave me a lecture on how girls should behave like girls and leave the field to the boys. nanti hitam takde orang nak.

She was also the aunt who made a big deal about my weight. She'd bring out the scales everytime I went over to her house. When food was served she never failed to point out that I'd be the one to start first and finish last. Somehow all that never got to me. It never put pressure on me to lose weight. My weight never bothered me. I remember my dad scolding that sister of his. He said I will grow at my own pace, and I will learn my own way.

My dad was right. He always is anyway. I still wear jeans everyday, I still don't fancy heels. I started exploring cosmetics and experimenting with the colours. I'm trying to grow my hair long, put a bit of style in it and work for a healthier bod. All at my own will. Oh yea, I still don't own a skirt. Not quite there yet.









posted at 5:17 AM

3 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're not a late bloomer honey. It's a choice. You chose not to. Someday sometime, skirts will appeal to you and makeup a must the moment you step outside. Remember what happened to our dear friend? =p

    You'll be alright.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Btw really? Puberty didn't hit until you turned 13? I didn't know that.

    I got mine at 11! Freakin 'ell! I thought it was cair poop. Hahah!

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    De ja vu!

     

Post a Comment

...Back