Sunday, March 12, 2006

I am tired...

but I am very much alive too. I have learnt so much in the past two months than I ever could in the confined walls of a lecture theatre. I learnt that responsibilities are responsibilities and there is no alternative way about it. Running away won't solve the problem and people don't appreciate it when you dump your problem on their shoulders. Friends don't do that.

I learn that people with conflicting ideas can work it out if they set their sights on the same objective. After all we're all heading to the same place from the same place, only we want to use different routes. Some want to cruise and take it easy, some want to speed down the highway. To my project advisor and assistant director, I miss the hours we debate and rebut only to agree hours later.

I learn that when working with a big team, and being a leader, you have to trust each and every member of the committee to carry out their duties. trust. I worry that some things are not done. I want to ask, to remind, to tell them to report to me but I can't because then I am robbing them of their independence and I am work for me instead of work with me. It's very different. So instead I ensure them that they can consult me anytime if anything goes wrong. And say thank you, it goes a long way. People want to be appreciated.

I also learn that human beings are full of emotions. Some wear it on their sleeves, some pour their heart out through their writings, some bottle it up inside only to open up to those very close to heart. And I guess you have to let them deal with emotion the best way they know how to, and not the way you think is best, because after all, its their emotion. If they need to cry, let them. If they need to throw something against the wall, let it be thrown. If they need to shout, let them hit their highest note.

I learn that there will always be people who refuse to see the good, but choose to highlight the shortcomings. But with these people, its best to walk away. Its either they don't want you to celebrate the big day, or deep inside they wished they're part of it.

There was a time when I almost gave up on this project, because it became too hard and too tiring. I'm glad they talked me out of it. At least when I look back on my days at uni, I have something to remember it by, and its more than sitting in my room at night watching reruns of f.r.i.e.n.d.s.



posted at 8:45 PM

1 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That was beautifully written, Lonestar. You said it all.

    It's true, when you look back to your uni days, it isn't the amount of work you put into your studies that you really remember(because 20-30 years down the road, I'll definitely not be missing that) but the people you met, the good moments you shared, the freedom you enjoyed and the time you spent with people you call friends. People who one day might just be a person you say 'hi' and 'bye' to.

    But humans are blessed with one thing that will forever walk with them till the end of time... memories-- be it bitter or sweet =)

     

Post a Comment

...Back