Monday, May 15, 2006

Being Yourself

Gosh, it's been so long since my last entry. I've been wanting to write for so long, but the wonderful box(read: television) has keep me occupied with a lot of good shows. I just can't get my hands off the remote. Sigh.

Interestingly enough, Oprah Primetime had given me an idea of a good topic to discuss. Last night, Oprah interviewed Pink on her latest controversial song entitled, "Stupid Girls". Upon asking what stupid girls really mean, Pink came up with conclusion that stupid girls to her are girls who are not genuine, not true to herself and try be to someone they're not.

Coincidentally, I faced with some kind of dilemma the past weeks. My fashion sense has been labeled as bold by many and weird by some other. Most of the time, many people have a hard time accompanying to go shopping. I usually have a basic idea of the things I'm looking for and it could be the most difficult part. It's because most of the time I don't meet with my specific initial idea. And it can be very disappointing when you've gone over god-know-how-many malls. So, my mum would rather let me shop on my own. Hence, I have to spend with my own money. Sigh.

In most occasions, some people would complain about the simplicity or the untidiness of my clothes, or plainly the way I look. The most popular taglines that would utter from their mouths would be,

"Why don't you put on these clothes? They look better(much better)"

"Why can't you dress up a bit?"

"Why do you look so untidy?"

"Why do you look so pale? Is there something bothering you?"

"Why can't you put on some make-up?"

"You look like a rempit"

To these people, thanks so much for your honest opinion but do me a favour, can you show a bit of respect on my fashion taste and be happy for who I am? At least, I'm proud to come up as my own self and I do not try hard to be someone I'm not or follow some celebrities so that I would look like them. Mind you, for those people who think I have problems because I look so pale, "Yes, I have a problem with you!". Haha. :D I might be a slob, but I'm comfortable with jeans and shirts, thank you. So stop asking me to dress in skirts, put on make-ups, be more feminine. That's just something I'm not. I do wear those occasionally and it's my call.

As a guy, wouldn't you be disappointed if you know a girl who puts on her lovely dress, wears her make-up on, and sexy stilettos to impress you on dates, and later find out she's the sporty kind who's always in her torn jeans and comfortable sneakers? You might feel special since she's doing all that for you, going that extra mile just so that you'll be impressed by her effort and changing for you. But isn't she not being herself? Isn't that considered dishonesty, don't you feel cheated? Wouldn't you feel worried after knowing that you're impressed, she'll transform to her own self and that doesn't attract you to her anymore?

Those are questions that can only be referred to each individual's preference with no definite answer. So, I'll leave it to you people to decide on whom you actually want to be and I have no right to be judge you for your choice. As for me, I am comfortable with the way I am even you think I look like shit, but one thing I know, I can never impress everybody and I just want to be happy for myself. The devastation of trying to impress and be the best for one person when that person doesn't have the slightest concern of what you're doing is way too harsh. It's too shattering.

-LostSoul-


posted at 4:59 PM

4 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw that episode last night too. Pink is sooo cool kan? She rawksss! I'm glad Oprah brought up that topic. She has such a huge positive influence among people especially among Americans. I hope that episode knocked some sense in those girls with lost identities.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, she does. But would this people actually sit, listen and think about it? I think most of them would just ignore it and carry on being someone they're not.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well if they choose to ignore it, then that definitely proves something doesn't it? That they ARE stupid girls. Hohooh.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    haha....possibly

     

Post a Comment

...Back